Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Warning: There is no turning back!

I will warn you now. There is no turning back once you have tried these. The last tray is still in the oven and I have eaten at least 5 of these little numbers. This is, by far, the best peanut butter cookie recipe that I have tried. If you are not blessed with the gift of self control, stay far, far away from this recipe. Or, just bring the extras to me!


Peanut Butter Cookies
(recipe found via smitten kitchen)


The brilliance of these cookies is that they have include two different formats for peanuts–three if you use chunky peanut butter. They’re crisp on the outside, and almost cakey on the inside. Bake a batch and then hide the results in the furthest and most forgettable reaches of your kitchen. You’ll thank me later.

1¼ cups all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup peanut butter at room temperature (I used smooth)
¾ cup sugar plus ¼ cup, for sprinkling
½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup peanut butter chips
½ cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, the baking soda, the baking powder, and the salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat the butter and the peanut butter together until fluffy. Add the sugars and beat until smooth. Add the egg and mix well. Add the milk and the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat thoroughly. Stir in the peanut butter chips. Place sprinkling sugar on a plate. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls into the sugar, then onto ungreased cookie sheets, leaving several inches between for expansion. Using a fork, lightly indent with a crissscross pattern (I used the side of a knife to keep it smooth on top), but do not overly flatten cookies. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Do not overbake. (Mine took exactly 11 minutes) Cookies may appear to be underdone, but they are not.

Cool the cookies on the sheets for 1 minute, then remove to a rack to cool completely.


Special thanks to Cydney for hosting a sewing night at her house tonight so that I had an excuse to make (and not consume every one of) these cookies!

6 comments:

Julie said...

now why would you post that on the same day that I swore to finally change my eating ways? you are not a good sister. just kidding. but really, I think those might get to be my weekend treat. they look scrumpdiliumpcious. sounds like I better make a quarter recipe though.

CYD said...

And I must agree-those are the most delightfully delicious cookies I've had! And Phil snuck several while we were downstairs and agrees wholeheartedly!

Allison said...

yum can't wait to try 'em!

pinksuedeshoe said...

Stephanie made these today, and everyone sat around the table eating cookies and drinking milk... and told Riley that we couldn't come play with her, because we were eating cookies. They were awesome! Thanks for a great recipie!

Mumsy said...

Oh, yum. I made some pb cookies (craving) and they were decent, but not what I was looking for. These will be made next-for sure.

LizzyP said...

I can't wait to try them out.