Thursday, August 7, 2008

A funny thing happened on the way to the...


Social Security Office. That's right. I spent this morning trying to get a replacement for Mason's SS card. As I pulled into the parking lot, in an incredibly sketchy part of town, I stopped to let a homeless man cross the street. To thank me, he threw his shoe at my car while yelling expletives at the top of his lungs. After the shoe thudded against the side of the car, he ran to get it and returned it to his foot. Then, he crossed the street in front of me.

I was a little scared to get out of the car so I drove around the block a couple of times. During this time, Melissa had a massive blowout. MASSIVE.

Oh yes, lest I forget to mention...I didn't actually get Mason's new card. Although I checked the website, filled out all the paperwork and brought every official form that we own, I sadly had not thought to bring his shot record. I mentioned to the nice lady behind the bullet proof glass that perhaps it was time to update the website so that people like me don't show up with every possible document except the one totally unofficial document that they actually need. So I get to go back next week. I hope my homeless friend is there again.

The moral of the story is: Sometimes a bum will save you from having to clean up a super poop in the Social Security Office bathroom. Thanks friend!

7 comments:

Julie said...

nice way to spend your birthday! why would they need a shot record- that' ridiculous. I hope you had some fun today.

Emily Jones said...

Sounds like another glorious day in the life of a MOM. You should've thrown the poopy diaper Melissa made back at the shoe throwing homeless dude.
You are so funny about it all.
Miss you guys

spyderette said...

ugh! cyd told me about this! i can't believe you needed his SHOT RECORD...how weird is that? moral: never attempt to obtain an offical document in new jersey.

the meyersons said...

Everyone is looking at the bum. I'm looking to see if I like his shoes. If he doing well enough to throw them around...that shoe is mine.

The only advice I was given when I go to that same building for meetings-never NEVER park behind the building.

Don't need to tell me twice.

CYD said...

I have been giggling at this for days. I tell just about everyone I talk to b/c it is truly the most random thing I've ever heard. I have tears in my eyes right now laughing at it. So although you didn't accomplish anything in the hood, you did make my day!! (do you think he has insurance for the dent?)

B.E.C.L Wall said...

Thanks for the laugh! I am sorry you had to survive that adventure and even more sorry that you have to attempt it again! Good luck!

EMILY said...

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. that made me laugh. i also had to go to the ssc office recently. that was no fun. luckily i got my new card, thanks to a lady who gave me her number which was 40 people sooner than the number i had. it was my lucky day, i guess! now, if i can just get the irs to send me my stimulus check which they tried not to give me because my ss# didn't match my married name. give me a break. i am still an earl and why do they have no problem taking my taxes every year? uugh!!
em:)